Sunday, May 18, 2008

hope yet

S is thirteen. While driving him and a buddy to laser tag, I half-listened their animated discussion about the music they've recently placed on their ever-shrinking players.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear them mention a Scorpions standard. I was shocked when they started swapping Ramones titles. I almost stopped dead on the highway when I heard S say something about "it's just a shot away."

"How's the song go?"
"I don't know, it starts really slow, but gets wicked good when the girl starts singing."

Yeah, it gets wicked, wicked, wicked-assed good. I wanted to mention the steel guitar, but thought better of it. Why ruin their discovery.

When we got home, I fired up the laptop and took a look at S's play list. Sure enough, there was Gimme Shelter, wedged between a Panic at the Disco title and something by Linkin Park.

"Rock is dead they say..."

No comments: