Tuesday, May 27, 2008

marvelous sounds

Krista had a wonderful post about memorable sounds. How eclectic.

Late yesterday afternoon, when the backyard was buried in the shadow of the house, I heard the unmistakable "slap/smack" of a baseball hitting a glove. It was a regular pattern, occasionally interrupted by an errant throw no doubt. The interesting thing: The sound was one-sided. There wasn't a reciprocal slap/smack, as you'd hear during a game of catch. When I snuck a peek out the kitchen window, I saw D and S tossing a hardball. D was using one of the lacrosse sticks. S was using his glove. With the curiousness of the sound figured out, I settled in on the sight,which was plenty rewarding.

Maybe I'm getting mushy. Maybe they're growing up too fast. Maybe it's a lot of both.

No comments: