Sunday, May 18, 2008

maybe a little clearer

A brief addendum to the earlier post (it's been something of a productive thinking/writing morning)...

Here are framing thoughts that I'll take into my review with my ever-energetic, but completely overworked dean:

  • I need to better calculate our ROI in regard to technology. I need to look for measures of the investments will pay off. This will be difficult: In higher-ed, we want to make sure that every investment supports enrollment and retention. With part-time commuting students, this becomes difficult. Technology is not on their radar as something that influences their decision to attend UC.
  • I need to work harder to align the goals of University College with those of the university. I need to explain to the University CIO the college’s issues and aspirations, and translate them in terms of what UC can do and what’s a realistic outcome for technology.
  • I need to formalize a certification training path for at least one principle member of my team, and possible all who are interested.
  • I need to increase the amount of time I talk to end-users. I need to meet with student representatives at least once per semester; I need to visit departments; break-down silos; and to set-up power users (champions) in the building. I need to regularly meet with department heads to learn if IT is doing a good job supporting their goals.
  • I need to know what issues are worrying my boss.
  • I need to better understand the academic and business aspects of higher-ed and align that with where the college (and the university) wants to be a decade from now.

No comments: