Sunday, May 25, 2008

blank spaces

We finished the first week of the limited residency WRT 307 on Friday night. I've mentioned before how much I like this format. The classroom sessions allow you to put a name to a face. More importantly for me, it allows us to clarify our expectations for the course.

The issue of expectations (what instructors expect of their students) comes up at every online faculty training session. It's like a bunch of old Italian mothers sitting around complaining about their son-in-laws. And when I mention to the gaggle that should also consider telling their students what they, in turn, should expect from their instructors, a short "Oh yeah" silence settles in the room.

I need to pick up some of the great work Coach Dan started here in regard to faculty training. It's an obvious opportunity to work in some the Quality Matters tools and design evaluation. At the very least, we could begin to formalize the Instructor Worksheet, may even making it required for anyone teaching a full online section for UC.

So much fun and good work to do.

It looks like a good 307 group this summer. I'm looking forward to seeing what we can come up with.

No comments: