Saturday, March 22, 2008

joys of spring

Easter weekend and spring has sprung, albeit in Central New York style. I see some buds a' budding across the yards in the neighborhood, but it's still only 27 degrees. H excitedly called me to the front window this morning just in time to see our first robin of the year. It's something we've been doing for our 21 years together (it's actually 21 next month). It's always a big deal, because we've never lived anywhere particularly warm. So when we see our first robin, we try to imagine what she's thinking. Maybe something like, "Why the hell didn't I wait a few more weeks to fly north for spring?"

You know how certain things remind you of people? A few years ago I had the privilege to work with an exceptional instructional designer and artist. She had given me a photocopy of the cartoon to the left. It's taped to one of the organizers on my desk, and it cracks me up every time I look at it. So of course, it's now not possible for me to ever get ready for the Easter holiday without inevitably looking at chocolate bunnies, thinking about my friend, and laughing to myself.

Happy Easter and joyous spring to all. Laugh to yourself, think about old friends and good people. And remember why spring is such a great time to be alive.

No comments: