Sunday, March 30, 2008

blue jays and jayhawks

We went through the entire winter without seeing a single blue jay. This morning we saw a huge male flitting through the bare stems of the maple in the front yard. Today was not the first day of spring, but certainly the first spring-like day we've enjoyed in weeks. S and I took out the gloves for some catch in the street (the side yard is still too muddy). I find myself marking time by how much harder he throws. I remember when D hit the same age and arm strength.

I liked Texas so much I had them picked to win it all on one of my brackets. Not to be. Now I'm watching Davidson carry the hopes of every future 10 seed into the last minutes of a great game against Kansas. And while I absolutely love to see small schools rattle the brackets, I have Kansas picked on the sheet that I have the best shot with. Cold hard CAASSSHHH or the love and beauty of college hoops? What the hell, how great would it be to see Davidson play in the championship? Pretty damn great. That's why we love the college game.

No comments: