Wednesday, December 26, 2007

food comas and follow ups

In a silly sort of way, it was nice to see a comment left by Derek. In my mind, he and some other talented, creative, lucid, witty CCR folks are blogging A-listers. If you haven't spent any time being challenged by what you're reading online (and you certainly haven't been here), you need to read Derek's blog.

Christmas was relaxing and fun. A weekend of seeing some of H's old friends back in the 'Cuse for the holidays. Family in and out of the house and another memorable Christmas morning with the boys. My brother, who was with us again, likes to remind me how blessed I am. He's right of course. And it doesn't hurt to be reminded more than once each day.

I did eat and drink too much yesterday, and woke up today with what felt like a food hangover. I made it to Archibold, only to find the fitness center closed until Jan. 1. My intentions to stay on track were modest. I called Rec Services this morning to confirm the holiday hours. I bundled up at 12:10 and trekked up University, over the quad, and into the lobby, stopping to submit my ID and ask the attendant if the "weight room" was open. She hesitated and said, "Yes, we're open until 5:30 today." For the briefest of seconds, I thought to qualify my question, but as usual with these passing sign posts of better judgment, I simply said, "Thank you" and went on into the locker room to change. When I found the big sign on the door at the top of the stairs reading "Closed until January 1," I wasn't as mad as I was upset. Not upset at the fact that I'd missed the opportunity for a nice long workout on a slow day at the office. No, I was more upset that I'd wasted the better part of the front end of my lunch hour -- an hour that could have just as easily been spent mowing down the rest of the chocolate cake that is still sitting on top of the office microwave. It will still be there tomorrow, but I suspect it won't be there for long.

This week will be quiet at the shop, which means I just might be able to get back on track with my exams. Maybe. More on this to come. And that's for certain.


No comments: