Thursday, February 5, 2009

stand in the place

I'm done with my diatribes about the organization. I've come to the conclusion that there are people in academia simply because they couldn't be anywhere else. These same poor bastards would starve if they worked in a "real" organization -- in a place where a lack of business acumen would leave them jobless in short order.

What is it about pompous people that leads them to believe they're not the problem? How can a head be so inflated -- an ego so bloated -- that the individual is blind to his own ignorance, inability, insensitivity, incompetence... oh the list goes on!

I've said this aloud. I say it again here simply to commit the statement to the ether: I didn't go to some seminar or workshop to learn how to respect my coworkers for what they bring as individuals to the organization. Some full-of-shit consultant didn't show me how to be a professional. I didn't have to listen to a blow-hard management professor to know how to avoid the petty personal interests that people bring into organizations.

There's a common sense to treating people with dignity and trusting that they are working toward the same goals you are. You can't teach that. And maybe that's the problem. All these shit-birds who haven't stepped off The Hill in 25+ years think they can find the answers in some faculty development seminar. Good luck with that. In the meantime, I have real work to do in moving the organization forward.

No comments: