Sunday, April 15, 2012

technology and writing

Charles Moran – Technology and Teaching Writing
I wanted to revisit this essay to make sure I hadn’t forgotten something essential to my mapping efforts. What I didn’t realize before is that teaching writing with technology is not pedagogically bound, therefore there is no clear association with Berlin’s taxonomy.

There is, of course, a relationship to computers and writing and the systematization of writing instruction – as if each activity (invention, writing, revising) and sub-activities could be departmentalized as discrete programmable functions. Similarly, teaching with technology has something of a tenuous relationship with “skill-and-drill” instructional activities associated with current-traditionalism; software simply replaced the workbook. Today, teaching writing with technology has hints of social constructionism, particularly in regard to the social aspects of web and technology-mediated writing.

This is primarily how I remember using Moran’s essay in the past. It is an interesting historical reflection, particularly in regard to Comp’s early struggles to integrate computers (technology) into the writing classroom. I don’t know of such struggles in Tech Comm’s history. Perhaps it is close association of practice to technology, or the emphasis on pre-professional preparation. What I do find within Tech Comm is that the teaching writing with technology issue has degenerated into a “tools vs. writing” debate. I don’t want to take up that debate here, but I’m certain it will play out when I map out the Tech Comm and Information Architecture landscapes.

No comments: