Monday, November 8, 2010

common threads

I had my classroom observation conducted a few days ago. We’re required to have an observation prior to our contract renewals. I’ve always seen it as an opportunity to get a fresh perspective from real composition instructors.

This year’s observation was extremely enlightening in that it helped me better understand the threads that run through the lower- and upper-division writing curriculum. I’ve never taught WRT 105 or 205, so I’m always basing my instruction in WRT 407 on assumptions about what the students should already know or should be capable of doing.

In discussing this with my observer (a seasoned and extremely talented writing instructor), we determined that because WRT 407 is content-rich and highly contextualized, I have ample opportunity to address rhetorical aspects of technical communication. By coming back to rhetoric (as a discipline and practice), I can draw on what the students have already experienced in their lower-division writing courses.

Of course, I’m feeling a little sheepish for not identifying this opportunity myself. For all of my emphasis on the distinctiveness of technical communication, I lost the forest among the trees.

No comments: