Wednesday, December 2, 2009

quite hogging my scene

Scenario-based instruction -- I love it. And I love this presentation from Cathy Moore.

We spent a lot of time some years ago developing scenario-based instructional models. Our designers didn't seem to care much for it. I think they found it too practical -- really. They typically preferred more theory-based strategies that emphasized complex assessment activities. When we moved instruction (problem solving) to shop-floor activities, most of the designers backed away.

I like linking learning activities to work activities. It's an approach I've seen work exceedingly well in many of Dana's courses and programs. I need to keep scenario-based instruction in the toolkit as we begin to work with more faculty on undergraduate online courses. Having faculty consider real-world scenarios in which to embed their instruction could make the design and development processes more interesting and rewarding -- for them and their students.

3 comments:

Amy said...

Not me, man! Gimme the old practical approach any day. I'm as happy as a pig in slop...oh wait! Did I just SAY THAT!??! : )

Hope all is well!

Mike Frasciello said...

You did just say that! And no -- not you. Do you remember knocking out that prototype for GE Supply in something like two weeks. We rocked that project. And oh, by the way, wasn't it scenario-based? Hmmmm. So much of that time seems like a blur now, but we had a few moments of clarity.

Things are good. Steady and good. Do you have a southern accent yet? My best to Mark and the brood :-)

Amy said...

Yep - I remember good old GE! It does seem like another lifetime ago.

Glad to hear things are a-ok! We are good here. I'll have to fill you in about "southern living" sometime. Bless your heart! ; )

The brood is growing! How's your household these days? Hope Helen and the boys are doing well.