Monday, December 8, 2008

how minimal is minimal?

I'm still waiting for Twitter to morph. Into what, I'm not sure, but there is something about the 140 character limit that is... limiting. Tom and one of his commentors make a good point about the scope and nature of tweets. The type of "product info" that the WebWorks folks are publishing seems to be something less than a traditional technical communication product (not there is any specific definition of a "traditional" tech com product). I'm imagining these small WebWorks info bits fit in somewhere between psuedo-tech com and quasi-marketing. It's a gray area that technical communicators need to be conscious of; aware of how the minimal space shapes the type and usefulness of the information product placed therein.

My personal bias being obvious, I always twinge (not tweet) a little when technical communicators start to bandy around the phrase "brand awareness."

No comments: